Physicians within the University of Maryland Division of General Surgery are experts in minimally invasive surgery -- also referred to as laparoscopic, videoscopic or "keyhole" surgery -- which we use for most operations. This requires smaller incisions than traditional surgery, making the operations safer and reducing hospital stays and recovery times as well.
We offer the most advanced treatment options for patients, and treat cases from routine to medically complex. Our physicians' vast surgical expertise, combined with the resources of our partnership with University of Maryland Medical Center, and our multidisciplinary approach, distinguish us as a first-rate center of excellence.
Our board certified general surgeons treat a wide variety of conditions:
- Disorders of the endocrine system
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Hiatal hernia
- Infectious diseases of the colon and rectum
- Reflux esophagitis (or GERD) and its complications
- Barrett's esophagus
- Radiation bowel injury
- Primary neoplasms of the stomach, small bowel, colon and rectum
- Inflammatory bowel disease and continent reconstruction
- Gastrointestinal tumors
- Primary and metastatic liver tumors
- Benign and malignant diseases of the biliary tract
- Benign and malignant diseases of the pancreas
In addition, patients may have the opportunity to enroll in the latest clinical trials. Our researchers are continually initiating trials and investigating other types of treatments.
Advantages to the minimally invasive approach include:
- Quicker recovery
- Quicker return to normal activities and work
- Shorter hospital stay
- Reduced rate of infection
- Reduced recurrence rate
- Minimal scarring
Appointments & Information
To schedule a consultation or for more information about our services, call: 410-328-6187.
University of Maryland Professional Building
419 W. Redwood Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Digestive Health Center at University of Maryland Medical Center
22 S. Greene Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
University of Maryland Faculty Physicians, Inc.
at UM Charles Regional Medical Center
5 Garrett Avenue
La Plata, MD 20646
University of Maryland Faculty Physicians, Inc. at Queenstown
Shore Medical Pavilion
125 Shoreway Drive
Queenstown, Maryland 21658
Meet Our Team